Sunday, November 18, 2012

Gay Marriage Update and Election Aftermath Part 2: General Impressions


In Part 1, I discussed the gay marriage results of the 2012 election.  Now I’m going to go back to the full picture.  The three things I expected to see and didn’t were some historical mean reversion in voting demographics, and, based on that, a much closer electoral college.  Ultimately, I also thought Gary Johnson would end up being a spoiler.

Though I don’t view exit polls as a reliable tool to forecast results, I do view them as a reliable tool to assess demographics.  What we saw is that 2008 is no longer a singular outlier, as 2012 showed similar patterns of highly elevated youth and minority voting relative to pre-2008 historical norms.  Whether this is Obama-centric or indicative of changing demographics within the US remains to be seen.  I suspect it’s both, but more the latter than the former.

Because of misreading demographics, I misread the electoral college.  In particular, I thought Florida and Virginia would definitely go to Romney.  Those two surprised me the most.  I was also surprised that Romney didn’t fare better in Colorado, New Hampshire, and Wisconsin, as I expected him to pick up at least one of those states rather than lose so decisively in all three.  Ohio was tight, unsurprisingly.  Michigan, Pennsylvania, Nevada, and Iowa going clearly to Obama, along with North Carolina going clearly for Romney, plus all the other state outcomes, didn’t shock me at all. 

I also was thinking Gary Johnson, as the Libertarian candidate, had a chance to be the spoiler in a few swing states, though we may eventually discover that Johnson cost Romney Florida.  I overestimated how much support he would receive, but considering how severely underfunded and disadvantaged the Libertarian party is (or any party outside the GOP and Democrats), 1% nationwide is a solid showing for a party only formed in 1971.

With Obama’s victory, the GOP holding the House of Representatives, and the Democrats holding the Senate with a couple more seats, we have a whole bunch of no change.  Effectively, this means two more years of the last two years.  The American people voted for a split government.  They had a taste of life with the Democrats in full control from 2008-2010 and wisely rejected it once again.  We prefer a split over one-party control because both parties have recently demonstrated questionable judgment and party-line thinking when presented with full control.  I think the Democrats did worse damage in two years 2008-2010 than the GOP did in six years 2000-2006, but that’s another story for another day. 

Also, I need to note that, between 2010 and 2012, the GOP has now blown at least five very winnable Senate seats, namely Delaware and Nevada in 2010 by picking Christine O’Donnell and Sharon Angle and Missouri and Indiana in 2012 by going with Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock.  I’m also inclined to add Linda McMahon from Connecticut to this list.  No Republican was going to beat Dick Blumenthal in 2010 because he was a popular attorney general for several terms and ran a good campaign, but a stronger one could have beaten Chris Murphy in 2012, who really was a much weaker candidate than his margin of victory would indicate.

In any event, with two more years of the last two years, seven questions linger.  I’ll lay all of those out in Part 3. 

Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment